EP Summer Lottery FAQ
The Elizabeth Parker Hut is in high demand in summer months and reservations are made through our online lottery system.
- How do I enter the lottery?
Go to our online lottery page and follow the directions.
- When can I enter the lottery?
The lottery for summer, 2017 dates is now closed. The lottery for summer, 2018 dates will open on Monday, November 13th, 2017 and will close on December 15th, 2017.
- Is there an advantage to entering the lottery early?
No, all entries have the same chance of winning.
- What are the summer dates covered by the lottery?
The summer season for Elizabeth Parker Hut is June 22nd to October 7th, 2018. Dates before and after this time are booked by calling our reservations line at (403) 678-3200 ext 0.
- How much does it cost to enter the lottery?
Each entry costs $10.
- Do I need to be an ACC member at the time of entering the lottery?
No, not at time of entry. However being an Alpine Club of Canada member is a requirement to complete the booking. See our membership information here.
- Is there an advantage to being a member versus a non-member for the lottery?
No, there is no advantage to being a member – we do not prioritize any lottery entries based on ACC membership.
- How many times can I enter the lottery?
There is no limit to the number of times you can enter the lottery. You may enter for multiple dates or you may enter multiple times for the same date to increase the odds of winning. Each entry is $10.
- Will you contact me if I win or lose?
We only contact winners of the lottery.
- What if our lottery entry is not selected? Is it still possible to go to EP Hut in the summer?
Yes, it is still possible. After all the winners have been contacted and lottery bookings are completed, all remaining hut spaces are released for general booking. This release of remaining spaces will happen on January 9th, 2018 at 8:00 am MST. Bookings can be made only by phoning our reservations line (403-678-3200 ext 0) and are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Can I book the bus to Lake O’Hara through the ACC?
People staying overnight at the EP Hut are be able to book the bus at the time they complete their hut booking. The ACC only makes bus reservations for hut overnights, not day trips.
- What is a Backcountry Wilderness Pass and do I need one?
A Backcountry Wilderness Pass is a mandatory permit required by Parks Canada for each person 17 years and older who is staying overnight in the backcountry in the Parks. This pass can be purchased through Parks Canada or from the ACC at the time of a hut booking. The Elizabeth Parker Hut is located in Yoho National Park and therefore Wilderness Passes are required.
- What are my chances of winning my requested dates?
The chances of winning your dates varies and depends on the number of other entries for those dates. Every lottery entry has the same chance of being selected.
- How do you decide the winners of the lottery?
Winners and runners up are selected randomly. Each entry, regardless of the number of spaces requested or the length of the stay, counts as one entry. All entries have the same chance of being selected. Runners up for each date are contacted in order and offered any remaining spaces.
If you have a question that is not answered here, please call us at 403-678-3200 ext. 0.
- Can I transfer my booking to another person?
No, bookings cannot be transferred. Please call our reservations line if you wish to make changes to the booking.