The Silver Ice Axe – Section Newsletter
The Silver Ice Axe is published twice a year and contains trip reports, new routes, planned club activities, and references to national activities.
The newsletter is named for the fabled Silver Ice Axe that was left on the summit of Mt. Alberta upon it’s first ascent. The second ascent party found the axe to be something other than silver and took it as a prize nonetheless. For many years it resided in the basement of an archive in the US until Greg Horne stumbled upon it’s dusty resting place. Primarily through Greg’s efforts, the axe rests in the Jasper Museum and Archives. It now forms part of a showcase display there.
The Jasper Hinton Section of the Alpine Club of Canada is a small group of enthusiastic mountaineers, alpinists and sport climbers. Members range from novice rock climbers to seasoned mountaineers.
Benefits of section membership are varied: for the novice climber, there is the opportunity to travel and climb in the mountains with knowledgeable people; for the more advanced climber, there is the opportunity to socialize and climb with people at your own level and, better yet, to climb with some of the best amateur and professional climbers in Jasper National Park. The section also offers leadership training, social activities, equipment rentals, a regular newsletter, and much more.
Please see the current edition of The Silver Ice Axe for details of planned trips.
Visit the Sections Facebook page at: https://www.facebook.com/ACCJHS/?fref=ts
- Jasper weather
- Avalanche forecast
- Parks Canada Jasper info – Parks Canada
- Canadian Avalanche Association – Bulletins and training
- Jasper Rocks – Supplemental guide book info
- Gear lists – ACMG
- Reading lists – ACMG
- The Avalanche First Response Training Program – CAA
- ACMG linked resources
- President Matt Reynolds 780-852-5042 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Section Representative Claire Levesque 780-223-4498 email@example.com
- Trip Coordinator Peter Amann 780-852-3237 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Secretary/Treasurer Dave Pors 780-865-8808 email@example.com
- Membership Services Jennifer Russell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Newsletter Editor Dave Pors 780-865-8808 email@example.com
- Webmaster Estelle Stewart Estelle@jaspercanadianrockies.com
- Social Coordinator Ryan Titchener 780-931-6855 firstname.lastname@example.org