Back by popular demand!
Last year, the ACC ran a women’s only traverse of the classic 6-Pass Route south of Jasper. According to participants and staff, the program was a success! This year, we asked the same amazing guides back to lead a women’s only traverse of the Drummond Icefield. This traverse is a great continutation of the women’s program for people who have taken our Women’s Ski Camp or last year’s 6-pass traverse. This trip provides relatively mellow terrain appropriate for heavier packs, and has a true wilderness feel.
The traverse will start at Mosquito Creek, traverse the Drummond Icefield, and finish at Lake Louise. A side trip to the Bonnett Icefield might be possible (conditions and group permitting). The 5-day traverse is a great introduction to winter camping for people who have taken one of our hut-based programs on the Wapta, and want to expand their skills.
Explore new terrain
Each day will start with a delicious and hearty breakfast to give you the energy to pack up, shoulder your pack and get on with the day’s objective. Depending on the group, there may be opportunities for some ski mountaineering. Your guides and camp managers will be in charge of the day-to-day itinerary (with input from you). Group travel and safety are paramount, with guides having the final say.
Each evening will be spent outside in a dug out kitchen enjoying great food, telling tall tales wrapped in your down jackets and recuperating for the next day’s adventures. Filling a hot water bottle before slipping into your tent and sleeping bag will guarantee a good night’s rest.
And did we mention this is a women’s only traverse? That means lots of laughs, support, and empowerment along the way!
Slider pictures by Ron Frank, Nicole Larson, Etienne Legresley, Lawrence White and Lynn Martel
- Day 1-5 – Itinerary coming soon!
Camp itinerary may change due to uncontrollable factors. All days will be filled with learning and skiing objectives based on weather, conditions, and participants.
This traverse may be reversed in direction if conditions warrant.
Gear, Food, Lodging
- Two professional ACMG guides plus a camp manager throughout the camp
- Meals starting with breakfast on Day 1, ending with lunch on Day 5
- Parks Canada Wilderness Passes
- Group gear (tents, stoves, fuel, cooking supplies)
Participants must provide:
- Transportation to the town of Jasper (Bear’s Paw Bakery on Patricia Street) then on to the Sunwapta Warden Station (for the shuttle car), and then to the Poboktan Trail Head (Mile 45/Sunwapta Warden Station), to start the trip;
- Accommodation the evening before the camp starts
- Personal gear (see equipment list in Info Pack)
- National Parks vehicle Gate Pass (only free until the end of 2017!)
Level of Difficulty
This camp is designed for women with at least moderate backcountry skiing experience. You must have a good level of fitness and be comfortable skiing the equivalent of blue/intermediate and black/advanced runs at downhill ski areas. Additionally, you must be able to ski while carrying a 22 – 27kg (50-60lb) pack for several hours. Participants will be expected to share in carrying group gear/food and their own lunch while on the camp. Previous winter camping skills will be handy, but not essential, as the guide and manager will coach and teach. If you have never camped in the winter but would like to learn how, this might be the camp for you.
More Women's Program camps - Presented by Marmot
Designed for and offered exclusively to women, our Women’s Program camps allow participants to feel totally comfortable, be themselves and pursue skills and adventure in a supportive, nurturing environment. These camps are staffed and guided exclusively by women as well.
Women’s Program Adventures
- Women’s Ski Camp (Mar 6-11, 2017). A unique opportunity for participants to build on their winter skills in an all-woman setting. For those with some backcountry skiing experience. 6 days, $1,550.
- Women’s Climbing Camp – A week-long summer climbing camp that moves each year between the Columbia Icefields and the Bugaboos. Details soon. 5 days, $1,295.