Girls on Ice Canada
Unique, tuition-free wilderness science expeditions for young women
Girls on Ice Canada, a joint project between the ACC and Inspiring Girls Expeditions, interweaves science, art, and wilderness travel to inspire future leadership, curiosity, confidence, and success.
Each year we select expedition teams of 10 teenage girls* and 4 instructors to spend 12 days exploring and learning about remote wilderness environments.
Through scientific field studies with our team of professional scientists, artists, and wilderness guides, young women will build critical thinking skills, gain self-confidence, and make lasting friendships.
*We welcome cis girls and trans girls, as well as non-binary and gender non-conforming youth to our programs.
Explore the wilderness and iconic glaciers of Canada
Illecillewaet Expedition Dates: 9 August - 20 August, 2022
Destination: Rogers Pass, BC
Yukon Expedition Dates: 2022 dates coming soon!
Kootenays Expedition Dates: 22 August - 2 September, 2022
Destination: Kootenays, BC
Our expeditions are unique Canadian mountain experiences that are packed full of dynamic glaciers, hardy alpine ecosystems, and beautiful landscapes. Accompanied by certified mountain guides, professional scientists, and artists, the teams of girls will explore and study Canada's glaciers and their connected ecosystems.
These areas provide a perfect environment for developing scientific observational skills, understanding relationships between organisms and their surroundings, reflecting on our own interactions with the mountains through art, building self-confidence in difficult terrain, and gaining life-long friendships.
Accommodation includes the ACC's A.O. Wheeler Hut
and Asulkan Cabin
in Glacier National Park, BC.
What are we looking for?
Inspiring Girls Expeditions combines science, art, inquiry, and wilderness travel. We are looking for girls who bring a unique contribution to the team: we want to hear your story!
Because we want girls to share their perspectives and learn from one another, we do not choose team members based solely on their individual applications. We choose the team as a whole, balancing insights, background, and energy.
When selecting our expedition teams, we look for:
- Diversity of backgrounds: a range of racial, ethnic, cultural, economic, gender, sexual orientation, family, and geographic backgrounds.
- Diversity of interests and life experiences: a balance of interest in science, environment, outdoors, art, philosophy, social issues, politics, and more. if you are passionate about something, tell us about it!
- Opportunity:we recognize and support applicants who hold identities and backgrounds historically excluded from science, technology, art, engineering, and math (STEAM) fields and those who may face more significant barriers entering STEAM and outdoor fields.
Check out the 2022 Inspiring Girls Expeditions Application Preview
We are looking for girls who have an interest in challenging themselves and exploring science, art, inquiry, and wilderness travel. You do not need to be a top athlete, have the best grades, or participate in the most extracurricular activities. We want all kinds of girls, especially those girls who haven’t had many other opportunities or who have a particular life story that connects with us.
Applications are now open for the 2022 Girls on Ice Canada expedition.
We don't require any specific skills, just a willingness to learn and explore and to do some physical tasks.
Please read over the expedition page
and the FAQ section
on the Inspiring Girls Expeditions website before applying.
For questions concerning eligibility, problems with the application process, recommendation requests, and other frequently asked questions, please see the FAQ, or contact: [email protected]
- You must be 16, 17 or 18, and enrolled in highschool at the time of application.
- We welcome cis girls and trans girls, as well as non-binary and gender non-conforming youth to our programs.
- We accept applications from applicants living in Canada, regardless of citizenship status.
- Registration closes on January 31st, 2022.
- To see a preview of the application without creating an account, click here.
- Questions? Contact [email protected].
- Preference is given to girls from Canada.
Get involved with Girls on Ice Canada
The Alpine Club of Canada is a registered Amateur Athletic Association and a registered Canadian charity.
The Girls on Ice Canada Fund supports the ACC's vision to grow the Girls on Ice program across Canada.
Stay in touch with Girls on Ice Canada on Instagram and Facebook.
Girls on Ice Canada is supported by the following organizations.
MEC supports Girls on Ice Canada through Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity funding.
Operation support for Girls on Ice Canada is provided in part by the Jumpstart Sport Relief Grant.
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada supports Girls on Ice Canada through their funding program.
The Alberta Government supports Girls on Ice Canada through their Community Initiatives Program Grant.
1% For the Planet supports Girls on Ice Canada financially through their alliance of businesses financially committed to creating a healthy planet.
Wikiloc supports Girls on Ice Canada financially through their monetary donation.