Girls on Ice Canada
A Unique, tuition-free wilderness science expeditions for young women
Girls on Ice Canada, a joint project between the ACC and Inspiring Girls Expeditions, interweaves science, art, and wilderness travel to inspire future leadership, curiosity, confidence, and success.
Each year we select an expedition team of 8-9 teenage girls and 3 instructors to spend 12 days exploring and learning about a remote wilderness environment.
Through scientific field studies with our team of professional scientists, artists, and wilderness guides, young women will build critical thinking skills, gain self-confidence, and make lasting friendships.
Explore the wilderness and iconic glaciers of Rogers Pass
Expedition Date: 30 July - 10 August 2020
Destination: Rogers Pass, BC
The expedition is a unique Canadian mountain experience that is packed full of dynamic glaciers, hardy alpine ecosystems, and beautiful landscapes. Accompanied by certified mountain guides, professional scientists, and artists, the team of girls will explore and study the Illecillewaet and Asulkan glaciers and connected ecosystems in Glacier National Park in British Columbia.
These areas provide a perfect environment for developing scientific observational skills, understanding relationships between organisms and their surroundings, reflecting on our own interactions with the mountains through art, building self-confidence in difficult terrain, and gaining life-long friendships.
Accommodation will be at the ACC's A.O. Wheeler Hut
and Asulkan Cabin
in Glacier National Park, BC.
What are we looking for?
Inspiring Girls Expeditions combines science, art, inquiry, and wilderness travel. We are looking for girls who bring a unique contribution to the team: we want to hear your story!
Because we want girls to share their perspectives and learn from one another, we do not choose team members based solely on their individual applications. We choose the team as a whole, balancing insights, background, and energy.
When selecting our expedition teams, we look for:
- Diversity of backgrounds: a range of racial, ethnic, cultural, economic, family, and geographic backgrounds.
- Diversity of interests and life experiences: a balance of interest in science, environment, outdoors, art, philosophy, social issues, politics, and more. if you are passionate about something, tell us about it!
- Opportunity: this is a unique, tuition-free program and we prioritize applicants who may have limited access to many extracurricular activities.
Check out the 2020 Inspiring Girls Expeditions Application Preview
We are looking for girls who have an interest in challenging themselves and exploring science, art, inquiry, and wilderness travel. You do not need to be a top athlete, have the best grades, or participate in the most extracurricular activities. We want all kinds of girls, especially those girls who haven’t had many other opportunities or who have a particular life story that connects with us.
Applications are now closed for the 2020 Girls on Ice Canada expedition. Watch our channels for the 2021 application.
We don't require any specific skills, just a willingness to learn and explore and to do some physical tasks.
Please read over the expedition page
and the FAQ section
on the Inspiring Girls Expeditions website before applying.
For questions concerning eligibility, problems with the application process, recommendation requests, and other frequently asked questions, please see the FAQ, or contact: email@example.com
- You must be 16 or 17 years old on June 1, of the expedition year to be eligible for Girls on Ice Canada.
- We accept applications from applicants living in Canada, regardless of citizenship status.
- January 31, of each year is the deadline to begin your application. To be fair to all applicants, we do not make exceptions to this deadline.
- To see a preview of the application without creating an account, click here.
- Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Preference is given to girls from Canada.
Get involved with Girls on Ice Canada
The Alpine Club of Canada is a registered Amateur Athletic Association and a registered Canadian charity.
The Girls on Ice Canada Fund supports the ACC's vision to grow the Girls on Ice program across Canada.
Stay in touch with Girls on Ice Canada on Instagram and Facebook.